2020/21 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
FLTU1802 Beginners Spanish 20 credits, Semester 2
20 creditsClass Size: 17
Module manager: Ricardo Michue
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2020/21
This module is mutually exclusive with
|FLTU1803||Beginners Spanish 20cr Sem1&2|
|FLTU1809||Beginners Spanish 10 credits Semester 2|
This module is approved as a discovery module
This module is approved as a skills discovery module
Module summaryThis module is for students who have no previous knowledge of Spanish.The emphasis is on achieving a basic level of communication in all four skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) while developing confidence and a degree of accuracy when using the language in a limited range of situations.The module also aims to stimulate students' interest in Spain and Latin America and deepen their knowledge and understanding of Spanish and Latin American society and culture.
ObjectivesThis module aims to introduce students to Spanish and gradually develop their ability to function at beginners' level.
Students should develop a basic understanding of everyday vocabulary, understand the rules of pronunciation and have a basic grasp of the relevant grammar for that level. They should also develop an awareness of Spanish and Latin American culture.
On completion of the module, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of commonly used vocabulary and everyday expressions in the topics covered;
- extract accurately the key information from audio and/or video material;
- understand and make themselves understood by a proficient language speaker in specific contexts;
- demonstrate some awareness of cultural and linguistic differences between the use of Italian and English;
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of grammar.
1. Exchange personal information about themselves and their family
2. Understand and use numbers, the time, dates
3. Basic shopping including food, clothes, colours, asking about prices, sizes
4. Understand and give simple descriptions
5. Talk about likes and dislikes
6. Talk about daily routine
7. Talk about the weather
8. Eating out
9. Understanding and giving simple directions.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||156.00|
|Total Contact hours||44.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private studyGuided independent study each week including review of the lesson, self study and homework tasks, preparation and practice for the final exam.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackGuided independent study, participation in class, feedback on tasks submitted and preparation for the writing task and final exam.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|In-course Assessment||In-class task||50.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||50.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Practical Exam / OSCE||0 hr 10 mins||50.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||50.00|
Resit: Writing task.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 10/08/2020 08:36:39
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD