2020/21 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
HIST3430 History Long Essay
20 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Dr Geoff Waddington
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2020/21
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Objectives- To develop research and bibliographical skills through the study of a historical subject in depth
- To develop written skills through the presentation of an extended piece of writing.
Helps develop the following skills to advanced levels:
- defining and researching a complex problem
- locating and handling relevant material, whether secondary or primary sources
- self-discipline to work independently on a major self-directed project
- presenting findings in an extended written report conforming to academic norms.
Students will write a long essay of between 5,000 and 6,000 words during the first and/or second semesters. Students may select their own topic provided that a member of staff, normally from the School of History, is available to provide expert supervision.
Although some primary source material may be used, the long essay will be principally derived from secondary sources.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||192.00|
|Total Contact hours||8.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study- Bibliographic research
- Reading and research in primary and secondary source materials in libraries and archives
- Preparation and writing-up of findings
= 194 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- One to one meetings with supervisor
- Production of a dissertation long abstract at the half-way point
- Submission of a draft material from the assignment.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||1 x 6,000 word assessed essay to be submitted by 12 noon Tuesday of teaching week 10, semester 2||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 10/08/2020 08:40:27
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD