This module is not currently running in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2018/19 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SPPO1090 Spanish Language for Beginners 1A
20 creditsClass Size: 30
Module manager: Jose-Juan Munoz-Lopez
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
Pre-requisite qualificationsA level in a foreign language at grade A or B.
This module is mutually exclusive with
|FLTU1801||Spanish for Scientists|
|FLTU1802||Beginners Spanish 20 credits, Semester 2|
|FLTU1803||Beginners Spanish 20cr Sem1&2|
This module is approved as a discovery module
This module is approved as a skills discovery module
Module summaryThis module enables absolute beginner students to further develop their language skills and to complete the level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).Language Learning in this module is student-centred and task-based. The classroom is conceived as a social space for communication. Both written and oral tasks will be set.The teaching is by means of the Spanish language with students gaining a thorough grounding in Spanish grammar, the ability to write and speak the language with basic competence in a variety of contexts and sufficient confidence and skills to undertake private readings in Spanish and use them as a learning tool.Students who have some previous knowledge of Spanish should seek advice on what other modules are available to them according to their level and should not sign up for this module.There are other Spanish Language modules available in the Spanish Subject Group (modules starting with a SPPO code) and modules in Spanish Language taught in the Language Centre (modules starting with a FLTU code).
ObjectivesAt the end of this module students will be able to:
- show a basic knowledge of Spanish grammar, including a fair level of competence in some Spanish verbal tenses of the indicative, as well as in the basics of the present of the subjunctive mood;
- use a vocabulary of approximately 500 words and be able to recognise about 1,000 words;
- write basic texts in Spanish;
- communicate in some basic everyday situations, showing awareness of cultural conventions in language usage, produce very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type, introduce him/herself and others, ask and answer questions about personal details and interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
-Some of the principal grammatical constructions and basic communicative functions, both oral and written are introduced;
-An active vocabulary of approximately 500 words around the topics and areas covered.
The module will follow the textbook Aula 1 Internacional (Barcelona: Difusión).
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||160.00|
|Total Contact hours||40.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study- Homework: 60 hours
- Assessed work write-up: 30 hours
- Private reading: 40 hours
- Exam preparation: 30 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Class attendance
- Regular homework assignments, including short pieces of writing.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Practical Exam / OSCE||0 hr 50 mins||20.00|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||80.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 13/11/2018 09:25:41
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD