2021/22 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
CAPE2000 Mathematical Techniques 2
20 creditsClass Size: 255
Module manager: Dr JEJ Staggs
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
Pre-requisite qualificationsA-level mathematics or attendance at CAPE1050 Foundation Mathematics
|CAPE1040||Mathematical Techniques 1|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesThe aim of the module is to provide sufficient mathematical background knowledge to support the understanding of the various Engineering disciplines taught across SCAPE.
At the end of the module students should:
- Have a knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques to enable study in numerate engineering subjects such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.
- Have basic skills in statistics and numerical methods.
- Further develop problem solving skills.
- Power series and applications
- Fourier series
- Review of vectors, matrices and determinates
- Concepts of vector calculus
- Applications of vector calculus to fluid dynamics and heat transfer
Statistics - Revision of basic concepts; Discrete distributions: the binomial distribution and Poisson distribution. Continuous distributions: the normal distribution (and the relationship with the binomial distribution); Sampling: properties of the estimated values; sampling distribution of mean and variance; confidence intervals. Significance tests. Goodness of fit.
Numerical Methods - Numerical integration and Error Estimates; Introduction to solution of first order ODES; Numerical solution of initial value problems; Approximate solution of algebraic equations.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||140.00|
|Total Contact hours||60.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private studyWorking through weekly problem sheets
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackTwo formative assessments throughout the year and weekly problem classes that will provide feedback on progress in preparation for the exams.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||50.00|
Resits will be assessed by a 3 hour examination
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr||50.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||50.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 10/11/2021 11:32:06
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD