2021/22 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
COMP3931 Individual Project
40 creditsClass Size: 250
Module manager: Dr David Head
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThe individual project is the culmination of three years of computer science studies and provides the opportunity for students to demonstrate a mastery of the subject. This module will see students complete a significant research and/or development project related to their degree programme. This module will also see students apply their analysis and evaluation skills to their chosen project in addition to considering the legal, social, ethical and profession components of the project.This module requires students to work alongside academics, in a supervisee/supervisor relationship, to choose and shape the project. Some projects are offered in collaboration with industry which contributes towards commercial awareness.
ObjectivesThis module will provide students with the opportunity to consolidate three years of computer science studies.
On successful completion of this module a student will have demonstrated the ability to:
- work independently (under supervision of an academic) to complete a significant individual piece of work which meets a real world need through the application of innovation and/or creativity in an appropriate field relevant to their degree programme.
- consider legal, ethical, social and professional issues concerning their project.
- evaluate reflectively their own performance on the project and identify their strengths and weaknesses as professional computer science practitioners.
- apply pratical and analytical skills to synethesize information and provide a quality solution accompanied by an evaluation.
This module covers the following 3 topic areas:
- Academic Skills : finding, reading and analysing scholarly publications, evaluating sources,
- Professional Skills : independent working, project management, oral/written communication and reflective learning. Legal, ethical, social and professional issues.
- Project specific knowledge and skills : knowledge and skills specific to the domain of the project.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||371.50|
|Total Contact hours||28.50|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||400.00|
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Project Aims and Minimum Requirements;
- Mid-Project Report;
- Progress Meeting;
- Regular meetings with supervisor(s).
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 15/03/2022 16:12:19
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD