2021/22 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
XJFY1000 Engineering Communication Skills
10 creditsClass Size: 300
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
|XJFY0100||English for Engineering|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Objectives- To further develop English language skills relevant to studies in Engineering.
- To further develop academic study skills relevant to studies in Engineering.
- To appreciate ethical issues as they relate to Engineering.
- Clarify expectations of being a Leeds student, including preparing for, and participating in lectures and labs.
- Develop IT & online competence, especially the ability to engage in online group discussion on ethical issues pertaining to engineering.
- Appreciate of ethical issues in engineering as they are presented via case studies.
- Further develop an understanding of English language necessary for studying engineering.
- Increased ability to engage in autonomous learning and to take responsibility for one’s own learning;
- Ability to use Minerva as a tool for learning;
- Develop Engineering skills required for basic enquiry (critical thinking, formulating and evaluating arguments) by means of engaging in ethical analysis;
- Ability to engage in discussion, and to present information to an audience as well as an increased awareness of strategies which can be used to develop listening, reading and vocabulary skills in English for Engineering.
- Supported development of Engineering research and communication skills in various media (newspaper articles, videos of talks, student presentations, student online discussion).
- Guided investigation applying knowledge from engineering modules.
- Self regulated learning to evaluate one's progress and milestones in the learning process.
- Case studies of ethical issues as they apply to Engineering, with understanding developed through discussion, debate, background reading and presentation.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||20.00|
|Private study hours||60.00|
|Total Contact hours||20.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private studyIndependent on-line learning:
Using VLE resources 20
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackReflection with online writing activities and discussions (formative), as well as presentations (summative) and contribution to online discussion board (summative).
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Online Assessment||Discussion Board Contribution||50.00|
|Presentation||Group Video Presentation||50.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Online Assessment Resit: 1 x 500 word discussion piece (50%). Presentation Resit: 1 x 5 minute Individual Presentation (50%).
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 30/06/2021 16:23:30
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD