2021/22 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
BIOC3111 Advanced Topics in Biochemistry I
20 creditsClass Size: 110
Module manager: Dr Thomas Edwards
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
This module is mutually exclusive with
|BIOC3112||Advanced Topics in Medical Biochemistry I|
|BIOL3112||Advanced Topics for Biological Sciences 1|
|MICR3120||Advanced Topics in Microbiology 1|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesStudents should become familiar with current research in a range of topical areas within the field of biochemistry.
On completion of this module, students should have:
1. Gained a knowledge of current research in a range of biochemical topics chosen from the list of topics presented, and with reference to their programme specialism, subject interests and career intentions;
2. Developed their communication and presentation skills by researching and preparing an essay on a topic of current biochemical interest.
- Managing Knowledge: sourcing / selecting / interpreting data.
- Technical Competence: IT skills.
- Managing Self: planning, time management.
- Presentation Skills: essay.
The module will comprise a series of at least 10 advanced topics from which students will be required to choose 5 topics. The topics presented will reflect current developments across the subject of biochemistry and exploit the current collective expertise of the School's academic and research staff.
In each topic lecturers will present current thinking and research findings, referring students to the research literature. Students will be required to read the up to date research literature to advance their knowledge beyond the material presented in the lectures.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||170.00|
|Total Contact hours||30.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study- Students should note that the following information is for guidance only. The actual time required for the various elements will vary between students.
- 25 hours of self-study per advanced topic (125 hours)
- 45 hours - examination and preparation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudent attendance at lectures will be monitored in line with standard faculty practice.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Online Time-Limited assessment||24 hr||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 07/10/2021 15:31:41
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD