2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
COMM5140M Media and Communication Theory
30 creditsClass Size: 67
Module manager: Sara Tafakori
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesThis module aims to give students an overview of major cultural, political and social approaches to the study of media and communication. We will consider the contribution of selected approaches and students are encouraged to pursue individual academic interests in relation to such approaches.
- Familiarity with central issues in Media and Communications theory including the development of key ideas.
- Understanding of the nature of theory in media and communication studies, including the strengths and limitations of a range of theoretical approaches.
- Ability to critically evaluate theoretical approaches in Media and Communications theory
Topics addressed include:
Political economy approaches to the media
Media and power
Media and Politics
De-westernizing Media and Communications Studies
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||280.00|
|Total Contact hours||20.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||300.00|
Private studyStudents should spend approximately 10 hours a week preparing for seminars and lectures. Remaining private study time should be devoted to researching and writing the essays.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackMonitoring takes place through classroom discussions, contributions in seminars and student presentations. Students will meet regularly with academic staff in informal tutorials.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||1 x 2,500-3,000 words||70.00|
|Literature Review||Annotated Bibliography 1,500 - 2,000 words||30.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/10/2021
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD