2021/22 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
LISS1048 Developing Leadership through Sport and the Outdoors
10 creditsClass Size: 30
Module manager: Andrew Lockwood
Taught: 1 Jul to 31 Aug View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
Pre-requisite qualificationsGPA of 2.8 (US) or equivalent and enrolled at a university
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThe leadership and management of sport and physical activity has never been more important. With growing levels of inactivity and the impact of COVID-19 on activity behaviours, the ability to develop and lead effective interventions is crucial. This module considers how leadership is a critical element to developing projects and working in teams. Through working in the outdoors, student will reflect on and understand their own leadership skills and how they are transferable to a real-life project situation. The module will also focus the issues facing sport, physical activity and outdoor education and provide students with the opportunity to develop a researched intervention to tackle a specific issue. You will work in collaboration with peers to develop intervention ideas and to test your leadership skills in a range of engaging team-based challenges and activities.
ObjectivesThe module aims to provide students with a deeper understanding of individual leadership through sport and the outdoors.
The module will focus on the development of range leadership and personal skills through practical, applied learning in the outdoors and working in a team to develop a sport based project idea.
The students will:
- Reflect on their skill base and how they work in teams through practical outdoor learning
- Develop their reflective practice and understand what effective leadership looks like through engagement in outdoor activities
- Apply their leadership skills in a range of different settings and environments.
- Analyse Sport and Physical Activity in the UK and in Leeds
- Use Physical Activity research and data to understand and develop a targeted intervention to improve levels of activity.
1. Critically evaluate personal leadership skills, abilities and values through outdoor education
2. Discuss personal strengths and weaknesses and evaluate the impact on those on the delivery of a project
3. Outline and discuss an action plan designed to develop personal skills and attributes
4. Explain the key challenges for Sport and Physical Activity
5. Critically evaluate the methodologies used to develop and create sport, physical activity and outdoor programmes in the UK
6. Construct evidence-based recommendations and actions.
The module will comprise of a series of lectures/seminars/workshops addressing a variety of topics which include;
- What is Sport and Physical Activity?
- How Physically Active are the UK?
- Physical Activity Behaviours
- Developing targeted interventions
- Leadership Styles and Theories
- Developing Reflective Practice
- Problem Solving
- Communication and Team Working
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||15.00|
|Private study hours||36.00|
|Total Contact hours||49.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study15 hours pre-arrival readings and tasks to be completed on Minerva.
36 private study hours to include research and preparation for group presentation and analyse of data for lab report
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudents will engage with discussion board activities linked to taught content x 6. Feedback will be provided by teaching staff
Students will also complete an ongoing reflective journal via Minerva x 6. Again, teaching staff will monitor and feedback back on entries made.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||1,000 word reflective essay||60.00|
|Presentation||10 minute group presentation||40.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 25/11/2021
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD