2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
LUBS5285M Introduction to Research Design and Data Analysis
15 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Andrea Taylor
Taught: 1 Mar to 31 May View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
Pre-requisite qualificationsAll students participating in this module must already have obtained the required qualifications to enter the LUBS PhD programme.
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesThis module seeks to provide an overview of research design and various research methods and an understanding of data analysis as required for conducting sound research.
The quantitative element of this module introduces students to quantitative research approaches and analysis techniques.
The qualitative element of this module is intended to introduce doctoral students to the opportunities and challenges of qualitative research. We will focus on three widely used qualitative methods in organizational research - case study, ethnography and interviews, and a session on the basics of analysing qualitative data.
On completion of this module students will be able to critically assess:
- the research process including alternative research strategies
- qualitative and quantitative data collection methods
- qualitative data analysis and quantitative data analysis
On completion of this module students will be able to:
- select an appropriate research design
- design data collection methods
- conduct field research
- analyse and interpret qualitative and quantitative data
- write up a basic report
- Introduction to quantitative research, including surveys, experiments (including quasi experiments and natural experiments), and secondary data analysis.
- Methods of quantitative data collection.
- Basis quantitative data analysis including hypothesis testing, multivariate analysis and non-parametric statistics.
- Introduce moderation and mediation.
- Introduction to qualitative research
- Case study
- Basic qualitative data analysis
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||99.00|
|Total Contact hours||51.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyThis could include a variety of activities, such as reading, watching videos, question practice and exam preparation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackYour teaching methods could include a variety of delivery models, such as face-to-face teaching, live webinars, discussion boards and other interactive activities. There will be opportunities for formative feedback throughout the module.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Resit to be determined
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 30/06/2021 15:20:02
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD