This module is discontinued in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS3300 Extended Project Abroad
60 creditsClass Size: 10
Module manager: Dr Catherine Walsh
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsLevel 2 Physics. All students must have been selected for the MPhys degree programme.
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesBy the end of this module, you should be able to:
- manage your time effectively on a major research type project;
- operate a specialised piece of research equipment or make use of specialised software techniques;
- use appropriate computer packages for the statistical analysis and interpretation of large datasets;
- prepare regular (weekly) status reports and write a significant final project report;
- defend your project work during an hour long oral presentation/seminar before academic staff.
Write a report
Experience life abroad
The students work on a project that can cover any field of research. Here is a selection of recent projects:
- Calibration and operation of a cosmic ray tracking detector (Berlin 2005).
- Operate remotely a 34-m diameter NASA radio telescope to map out and analyse the Rosette Nebula
- A spectroscopic study of a sample of Kiso UV-excess galaxies (Marseille 2004).
- The Period Change of AE Ursa Majoris (Aarhus 2004).
- Build, test and calibrate a detector to measure the fluorescence emission of atmospheric Nitrogen for the world's largest cosmic ray experiment (Karlsruhe 2003).
|Private study hours||600.00|
|Total Contact hours||0.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackRegular meetings with supervisor abroad. Regular reports to module leader in Leeds. Pastoral visit from Leeds academic.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Practical||Performance on experimental part of project||40.00|
|Report||Final project report||40.00|
|Oral Presentation||Oral presentation/defence of work project to 5/6 Leeds academics||20.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students are required to submit all elements of the coursework in order to pass the module.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 06/03/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD