This module is inactive in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2020/21 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SOEE2050 Deformation Processes
10 creditsClass Size: 117
Module manager: Dr Geoffrey Lloyd
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2020/21
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- develop an understanding of the ways in which the continental lithosphere can deform
- link scales of structure from the field, outcrops, hand-specimen and thin-section by integrating analytical techniques with practical examples.
- prepare for field-based project work through laboratory and field exercises.
Students MUST pass both the examination AND the fieldwork poster in order to pass the module overall. Students who fail the module must resit either the examination or fieldwork poster or both depending on which component(s) they failed on first attempt.
- Theoretical and meso-to- micro scale analysis of structures developed through a linked series of lectures and practicals;
- practical 2D strain analysis;
- 3D strain concepts;
- incremental strain, kinematics and polyphase deformations;
- fold construction and classes;
- fault and shear zone evolution;
- fault-shear zone rock microstructures;
- integrated practicals; field applications.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||54.00|
|Total Contact hours||46.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study- 54 hours private study: VLE MCQ
- lecture/practical synthesis or reading
- field synthesis.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Via in-class test and VLE MCQ
- Also informal and summative feedback on integrated field course.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Fieldwork||Assessed fieldwork (map, notebooks, individual poster)||40.00|
|In-course MCQ||VLE Weekly MCQ (GEL Component)||20.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||60.00|
Students who fail the module must re-sit either the examination or fieldwork poster or both depending on which component(s) they failed on first attempt.
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Online Time-Limited assessment||1 hr 00 mins||40.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||40.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 16/02/2021 08:44:11
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD