2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
15 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Piroska Lorinczi
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- understand the basics of stress, deformation and brittle failure in the upper crust;
- consider the influence of stress on rock strength and failure under conditions encountered by fluid flow in the rock volume, important in all sub-surface reservoirs including geothermal, hydrothermal, hydrocarbon and ore minerals systems;
-understand different types of fault rocks and how their internal microstructure may either facilitate or retard fluid flow
- understand basic applications of stress analysis and fracture modelling to a number of sub-surface scenarios, both for formation of reservoir and for energy/resource storage and production
The course will cover:
- conditions of deformation, stress and strain, brittle shear failure including Mohr circle analysis, fracture mechanics, mechanics of faulting, stress and strain modelling.
- fault rocks and deformation at micro-scale.
- modelling stress and strain patterns around faults and predicting fracturing
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||105.00|
|Total Contact hours||45.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study105 hours:
- Pre- and post-class reading and evaluation of prescribed current literature; summarising and completing practical exercises set in class.
- Working on set problems, working up notes, directed reading, extended use of software, revision.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackFeedback through practical classes and coursework.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|In-course Assessment||Paper-based exercises||40.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||40.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||60.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||60.00|
Re-sits for this module are in the form of a single examination normally taken in August.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 30/06/2021 16:25:50
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD