2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
BIOL5152M Topics in Plant Science
10 creditsClass Size: 60
Module manager: Prof. Jurgen Denecke
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsBSc Biological Sciences
This module is not approved as an Elective
Objectives- To provide scientific knowledge on specific topics in plant biology focus of current scientific, media and political discussions.
- To provide basic practical skills in laboratory research using model plants.
- To provide skills in handling, analysing, interpreting and writing experimental data.
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Understand and critically discuss current topics in plant science
- Critically review published papers and to identify areas for further research
- Undertake problem solving exercises associated with practical lab work
- Develop practical skills in plant biology research
- Interpret, present and discuss lab-obtained results according with the published literature.
During the course of the module you will be taught by our academic staff up-to-date information focused on their areas of research. You will also participate in groups and individually in journal clubs and literature research in order to learn how to critically review it and present it in various formats for example as an essay or an oral presentation using appropriate visual aids. You will also be given exercises to improve your data analysis skills. Professional development in the areas of ‘genetic modification’, ‘cell-walls’ and ‘nutrient uptake/ use efficiency’ (which are the main topics of this course) is essential to understand and solve issues affecting crop growth and productivity worldwide.
- The module will provide information and promote discussions on 3-4 topics in Plant Sciences. Basic laboratory skills will also be provided.
- The learning will be tested through a mixture of assessed coursework which includes problem solving exercises, laboratory projects and scientific debates.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||79.00|
|Total Contact hours||21.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study79 hours private study:
reading for lectures, preparation for tutorials and completion of assessed problems and literature review
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackAttendance and contributions at tutorials.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Practical Report||Lab report||60.00|
|Reflective log||1,000 word log on debate topic||40.00|
|In-course Assessment||Formative exercise to support lab report||0.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:27:27
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD