2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
COMP1711 Procedural Programming
10 creditsClass Size: 500
Module manager: Mark Walkley
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryProgramming is a fundamental tool in Computer Science for developing solutions to problems. This module focuses on one paradigm of programming, procedural programming. This type of programming is the foundation of other programming paradigms such as objected oriented which is an industrially desired programming technique. This module covers the key skills in programming including designing, implementing, debugging and testing.This module is the base of all programming modules in the Computer Science curriculum and adopts a practical approach.
ObjectivesThis module introduces the fundamental skills of programming including, syntax, execution flow control and programming processes and contributes to developing Computer Science practitioners.
On successful completion of this module a student will have demonstrated the ability to:
- select appropriate data types to represent data.
- apply problem solving techniques to develop a programming solution to real world problems.
- design, implement, debug and test procedural programs.
This module covers the following 3 topic areas:
- Programming : language syntax, semantics, compilation, design, testing, debugging and typing.
- Data representations : data types, variables, pointers, arrays, strings and complex data types.
- Control Statements : conditional execute, iterative control structures, recursion and functions.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||60.00|
|Total Contact hours||40.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackCoursework assignments, in-class validation tests
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|In-course Assessment||Programming Task 1||40.00|
|In-course Assessment||Programming Task 2||60.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
This module will be reassessed by coursework.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 01/06/2022 16:59:02
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD