2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
EDUC5435M Dissertation in Deaf Education
60 creditsClass Size: 35
Module manager: Dr Jackie Salter
Taught: 1 Oct to 30 Sep (12mth) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is mutually exclusive with
|EDUC5075M||Critical Study (Deaf Education)|
Module replacesEDUC 5075M
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- identify either a topic of immediate individual concern in their own institution or a generic educational topic;
- engage in discussion with a tutor(s) concerning how this topic might be investigated;
- under supervision, carry out reading and study, and, if appropriate, research, on this topic;
- put this topic in a broader perspective, ensuring where appropriate that the experience of more than one school or college is considered and that recent evidence/research of the national/local situation is included;
- under supervision, write up the study in an appropriate form.
Students who complete this module will have the knowledge needed to carry out a search of the literature on a chosen topic and/or an understanding of how to carry out small scale empirical research.
Use of knowledge
Students negotiate their critical studies on an individual basis at a critical study proposal meeting held iwth their Academic Tutor.
Students will be required to audit the module EDUC5060M Getting Started: Research Questions and Approaches in Education or equivalent unless their programme manager or the taught postgraduate tutor believes that they already have sufficient knowledge or skills about research.
Students will be allocated a critical study supervisor who will discuss their critical study proposal and meet with them on a regular basis as the study progresses.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||566.00|
|Total Contact hours||34.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Private studyThe information against seminars in the first line of information against tutorials and the information against online learning relates to the work involved in auditing EDUC5060M. The second line again tutorials relate to supervision of the Dissertation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudent progress will be monitored through the tutorials related to EDUC5060M and the supervision meetings. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required, subject to agreement between the student and their supervisor.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Assignment||Dissertation x 12,000 words||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
The precise topic of the critical study will be negotiated with the critical study supervisor and so it is not possible to specify when the topic is set. Normally submission dates will be at the start of September and January.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:28:42
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD