2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
EDUC5990M Language Development for TESOL
15 creditsClass Size: 120
Module manager: Dr Richard Badger
Taught: 1 Nov to 31 Dec View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsEDUC5934M Analysing language
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis module will give you the skills to collect samples of learner language and the theoretical background you need to analyse that language and work out what the implications are for language development. The module is taught through online lectures and face-to-face seminars. You will be given reading to do each week before the lecture. You will also need to carry out tasks independently in study groups
ObjectivesThis module examines ideas about how second language are developed and the use of these ideas to analyse learner language.
1. Basic knowledge of theories of second language acquisition
2. Collect, analyse and interpret learner data.
3. Discuss the interpretation of learner language data in terms of language learning processes.
4. Relate the use of language to the learning of language.
This module will enable students to collect and analyse samples of learner language.
1. Analysing learning language: contrastive analysis, error analyses, interlanguage; translanguaging
2. Innatist view of second language development
3. Cognitive views of second language development
4. Socio-cultural view of second language development
5. Negotiation of meaning, the role of output
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||135.00|
|Total Contact hours||15.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyStudents will be given tasks each week to do in study groups, which will be created at the start of the module. The study groups will report on the result of the tasks in the discussion board in Minerva. This may be done face to face or online depending on the study group.
Students will also need to independently do data collection and analysis for the assignment
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudents will receive feedback on a draft for their learner language report.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Project||Report x 3000 words||95.00|
|Tutorial Performance||Participation in study group tasks||5.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students will be expected to report on one task in the study group and will be given 5 marks for a satisfactory contribution. This will mean that each study group will have no more than five members.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 26/08/2022
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD