2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
LAW2040 Company Law
20 creditsClass Size: 488
Module manager: Mr Trevor Clark
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsLAW1030 Contract
LAW1200 Foundations of Law
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to understand and discuss the main features of the company law of the United Kingdom.
Students should be able to understand the ways in which company law balances the interests of the different groups represented within the company and be aware of debates about the suitability of different methods used.
The focus is therefore on the legal nature of the company as a business organisation, the law relating to corporate finance, the relations between the company and third parties, the distribution of power within a company, the duties of directors and other managers and the associated enforcement mechanisms, and the key principles of corporate insolvency law.
At the end of this module students should be able to:
- identify and discuss the main features of the company law of the United Kingdom;
- students should be able to explain the ways in which company law balances the interests of the different groups represented within the company and demonstrate awareness of debates about the suitability of different methods used;
- students should be able to evaluate and critically discuss the effectiveness of company law mechanisms, such as parent company liability, the enforcement of the company's constitution, directors' duties, and shareholder remedies, to solve corporate conflicts;
- students should be able to apply these mechanisms to discuss solutions for real-life or hypothetical cases;
- students should also be able to explain the role of corporate governance and discuss recent developments in this field.
The legal nature of companies in the law of the United Kingdom; limited liability and separate personality
The process of incorporation
The corporate constitution
Relations with outsiders
Corporate governance; the general meeting, appointment, disqualification and duties of directors
Duties of Directors
Shareholder Rights and Remedies
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||176.50|
|Total Contact hours||23.50|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private studyThe online learning element is broken down into 15 minute tasks, there will be 20 x 15 minute tasks overall.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackThe formative assessment will be in the form of MCQ organized via Minerva.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Open Book exam||48 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 03/05/2022
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD