2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
LUBS2021 Visualising and Analysing Data Effectively
10 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Louise Hogg
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is approved as a discovery module
Module summaryStudents will learn about the role of analysis and visualisations in business, the latest software tools used in industry, the various types of visualisations and how to effectively use them to engage with a variety of audiences. This module assumes no prior knowledge of data analysis and creating visualisations and would be suitable for students who are eager to learn to use the state-of-the-art tools for data analysis and visualisation.
ObjectivesThis module aims to give students a sound grounding in data visualisations and analysis, essential skills required in today's information-rich business world. Students will learn to analyse data, develop insightful visualisations and share their findings.
Upon completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Load, merge and review data.
- Prepare and model tabular data to support decision-making.
- Demonstrate understanding of the role and importance of visualisations in a business context.
- Critically evaluate which visualisations are most appropriate to use in different business cases.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a wide variety of new and interactive visualisations available in the latest business intelligence software tools.
- Acquire and transform data;
- Prepare and model data for analysis;
- Create charts and plots for communicating business information;
- Learn to select appropriate data visualisations for business storytelling;
- Learn to disseminate business findings from data analysis.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||85.00|
|Total Contact hours||15.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackEach workshop will contain solutions which students can use to validate their answers. Students will also have the option to request feedback during ungraded practical assignments.
Teaching staff will provide feedback on the 2,500 word report students submit at the end of the semester.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Report||Project Report - 2,500 word report on a specific business problem with data set(s)||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
The resit for this module will be 100% by 2,500 word report.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:28:06
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD