This module is inactive in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
LUBS3880 Corporate Governance
10 creditsClass Size: 90
Module manager: Dr Helen Short
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsLUBS1915 Introduction to Financial Accounting
LUBS1235 Introductory Financial Accounting
LUBS1225 Accounting for Managers
This module is mutually exclusive with
|LUBS2035||Finance for Small Business|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students will be able to:
- understand the importance of corporate governance in the context of the corporate and economic performance of the UK;
- understand and analyse the role of corporate boards, institutional shareholders and the market for corporate control;
- analyse the UK system of corporate governance in an international context.
- Introduction to corporate governance: definition, importance and examples of corporate governance failures
- Corporate governance and the separation of ownership from control: theory and evidence
- The UK system of corporate governance
- The structure and role of the corporate board
- The role of institutional shareholders
- The role of other stakeholders
- Directors' remuneration
- The market for corporate control
- Comparison with other national systems
- Current developments.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||78.50|
|Total Contact hours||21.50|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private studyFor each 10 credits of study taken, the expectation is that the normal study time (including attendance at lectures and tutorials, self-study and revision) is 100 hours.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackMethods of formative feedback used on the module include outline answers to tutorial questions and opportunities to hand in practice essays.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
The resit for this module will be 100% by 2 hour examination.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 12/12/2018 10:48:53
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD