2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
MODL5370M Advanced Consecutive Interpreting - Portuguese
15 creditsClass Size: 16
Module manager: Cyril Joyce
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Module replacesMODL5764M Consecutive and Bilateral Interpreting: Portuguese
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryBuilding on the consecutive interpreting skills acquired in semester 1, this module is intended to provide guided advanced consecutive interpreting practice with Portuguese. Language-pair specific practice with more complex speeches relevant to "Topics of the Week" is conducted in the sessions in a progressive manner in order to improve students' consecutive interpreting competence to a higher level.
ObjectivesThis module further develops the concentration, analysis and recall skills essential to effective interpreting in the consecutive mode. This will be achieved through a focus on techniques specific to this mode, such as active listening and note-taking. The aim is to support students in being able to express the speaker's original structure and intentions in a clear, natural and articulate way in the target language, perform effectively to an audience, while under intense cognitive load.
On completion of this module students should have acquired the technical skills required for professional consecutive interpreting to an advanced standard. Specifically, they should be able to:
- comprehend, analyse and synthesise information in the source language;
- make effective use of note-taking;
- structure and present information accurately, coherently and fluently in the target language
- demonstrate broad knowledge in politics, business and current affairs, as necessary for professional preparedness;
- perform effectively in a high intensity professional environment.
During the practical sessions, emphasis will be placed on intensive practice of advanced consecutive interpreting which will involve the use of authentic materials on a variety of topics relevant to "Topics of the Week", as well as live and/or pre-recorded speeches.
Additional virtual classes may be arranged in cooperation with partner universities and international institutions such as the European Commission depending on their availability.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||114.00|
|Total Contact hours||36.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyStudents will be required to undertake intensive practice of consecutive interpreting individually, in pairs and groups with materials available online and in the resources library.
Specific guidance will be given by the tutor to support and structure student-led learning in key areas:
- Memory training
- Development of presentation skills: preparation of presentations in languages A and B or practice from two C (passive) languages on a topic of the week.
- Interpreting with note-taking individually, in pairs and groups from presentations prepared by peers and from pre-recorded materials.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- The progress of professional competence will be monitored throughout the year by providing students with regular feedback on student performance in classes.
- Feedback sheets are available to students.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Oral Presentation||Live interpreting performance in consecutive mode with note-taking. The assessment will last 20-30 minutes in total.||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Resits will be assessed by the same methods as the first attempt.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:25:50
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD