2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
PECI5214M Creativity and Innovation Management
30 creditsClass Size: 30
Module manager: Dr Stephen Dobson
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryThe module explores the theory and application of creative processes, from individual idea development to the harnessing and management of creativity for innovation. Creative individuals are at the heart of the creative and cultural enterprise. This module explores the organisational conditions and inter-organisational environment which may best foster these.
ObjectivesThis module explores the theoretical and applied knowledge required for managing creativity and innovation in an organisational context.
1. Understand key theories relating to creativity and innovation.
2. Understand and apply different theoretical and analytical approaches to manage creative processes in an organisational setting.
3. Identify, understand, and apply knowledge of creativity and innovation in their own professional development and or/practice.
4. Appreciate wider debates relating to innovation in the wider society and creative economy
5. Appreciate current academic debate around cultural sustainability and change
The course will explore a range of theories and approaches to creativity and innovation management including, but not exclusively the topics listed below
• Creativity and Innovation: An introduction
• Supporting creativity and innovation in organisations
• Leadership for creativity and innovation
• Cultural and Creative organisations in the creative economy
• Cultural sustainability and innovation
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||279.75|
|Total Contact hours||20.25|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||300.00|
Private studyThe students will be expected to conduct 130 hours of reading to support lectures and seminars
90hrs preparation for assessment 1
59.25 hours preparation for assessment 2.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackThe students will be monitored through feedback opportunities in all seminars plus a 1-to-1 tutorial at the week 6 mark.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||4000 word essay||65.00|
|Report||2000 word project mapping innovation ecosystem locally||35.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 05/09/2022
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD