2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS1000 Year One Physics Tutorials
5 creditsClass Size: 270
Module manager: Dr Thomas Moore
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualifications'A' Level Physics and Maths or equivalent
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis module consists of a weekly tutorial during which you can discuss the material from your lectures in a small group setting and with your personal tutor. It provides a forum for you to raise any queries about the content from your lectures and to discuss effective problem solving strategies.This module will also support your personal development and academic journey during the first year.
ObjectivesThis module gives you the chance to discuss the material from your other modules, and to solve related problems, in a small-group setting.
This module will also support your personal development and academic journey during the first year.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of common physical laws and principles, and some applications of these principles
- Identify relevant principles and laws when dealing with problems.
- Develop independent and group working skills
- Develop verbal communication skills
- Develop written communication skills
- Plan and reflect on own personal and academic development
- Understand what is meant by academic integrity in university work.
- Start to consider career options and how to develop employability
Problem solving skills
Time management skills
Transition to university-style learning
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||27.00|
|Total Contact hours||23.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||50.00|
Private studySolving problems ahead of weekly tutorials ready for discussion
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackFeedback on initial draft of article before final submission
Real-time feedback during tutorials
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|In-course MCQ||Academic Integrity Test||5.00|
|Reflective log||End-of-year reflective log||5.00|
|Tutorial Performance||Engagement with Weekly Tutorials||70.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students must submit a serious attempt at all assessment elements of this module, in order to pass the module overall.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:31:37
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD