2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS2002 Experimental Physics (for Astrophysics)
20 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Dr Satoshi Sasaki
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsPasses in at least one of PHYS1060 or PHYS1110 or equivalent
|Maths 4- Transforms and Partial Differential Equations
This module is mutually exclusive with
|Experimental Physics (For NatSci & Joint Honours)
Module replacesPHYS2060 Physics Laboratory 3PHYS2110 Physics Laboratory 4
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis module further develops key laboratory, research and career skills.
ObjectivesThis module further develops key laboratory, research and career skills.
- Execute and analyse the results of an experiment and evaluate the level of uncertainty in results.
- Communicate in writing or orally the results of their work or other scientific information.
- Present their skills and qualifications in a format for a future job
- Use commonly available laboratory equipment;
- Perform laboratory experiments in core physics, obtain useful data and draw conclusions, using effective time management;
- Record the procedures, data, calculations and conclusions of their experiments as they go along;
- Utilise statistical and systematic error analysis and critically analyse their data;
- Present and communicate their experimental results to others in the form of a scientific paper and an oral presentation;
- Be better prepared for job and placement applications
|Private study hours
|Total Contact hours
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)
Private studyPreparation and writing up of laboratory work, writing scientific paper, careers assignment, development of research skills, oral presentation and viva.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackDemonstrators in lab
Laboratory book of experiments/assignments
Methods of assessment
|% of formal assessment
|Careers skills (to include CV)
|Practical (Lab Writeups)
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)
Students must submit a serious attempt at all assessments for this module, in order to pass the module overall.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 22/07/2022 14:52:13
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD