2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS2380 Maths 4- Transforms and Partial Differential Equations
10 creditsClass Size: 250
Module manager: Dr Christopher Nixon
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students will be able to:
- use the method of separation of variables to solve the wave, Laplace, Poisson and diffusion equations with appropriate boundary conditions;
- determine the Fourier series for a given function;
- use Fourier series and Fourier transform methods to solve partial differential equations with several independent variables.
Manipulate numerical and other quantitative information, and apply manipulative skills to the solution of problems.
Basic mathematical methods needed in all branches of science.
- Wave, Laplace, Poisson, diffusion and Schrödinger equations in relevant physical contexts;
- Formulation of boundary-value problems involving each of the above PDEs;
- Solution of boundary-value problems by separation of variables;
- Fourier series and transforms with their applications to PDEs;
- Dirac Delta function and the convolution theorem;
- Solutions of PDEs involving Bessel functions and Legendre polynomials (including orthogonality properties);
|Private study hours
|Total Contact hours
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackHomework assignments.
Methods of assessment
|% of formal assessment
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
|% of formal assessment
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)
|2 hr 30 mins
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)
Students will have to complete an in-person exam at the end of the module. This will take place during the examinations period at the end of the semester and will be time bound. Students must submit a serious attempt at all assessments, in order to pass the module overall.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 20/01/2023
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD