2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS5431M Current Research Topics in Physics
15 creditsClass Size: 45
Module manager: Dr Kevin Critchley
Taught: 1 Jan to 31 Jan (13mth), Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Discuss at an appropriate level some current significant results in different areas of Physics
- Experience research seminar presentations from leading physicists
- Critically analyse some aspects of these results
- Apply many areas of physics knowledge they have gained previously
- Appreciate the frontiers of knowledge and understanding in these areas
- Research and write about current research in Physics
- be familiar with cutting edge research in a variety of Physics topics.
- know how to research current topics in physics using online resources
Students will gain knowledge of which online resources are appropriate for each different subject area.
Students will attend research seminars given by Internal and external speakers that are part of each research group's seminar programme. Students will be able to choose which seminars to attend. These seminars cover the themes of astrophysics, condensed matter, molecular and nanoscale physics, soft matter and quantum information. Students will take notes during each seminar they attend and select two seminar topics to research into more deeply using online research resources to find reviews, articles and preprints.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||127.00|
|Total Contact hours||23.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyUsing online resources to find research reviews, articles and preprints.
Reading to research the background, current knowledge and areas of controversy and active research into two selected topics.
Writing one 4000 word report on a selected topic
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Assignment||Poster presentation 1 Electronic Poster with a 5 minute oral presentation||40.00|
|Written Work||One 4000 word essay||60.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students must submit a reasonable attempt at all assessments for this module to pass this module.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:31:38
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD