2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SLAV2104 Applied Russian Language 2
15 creditsClass Size: 10
Module manager: Pavel Gudoshnikov
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsSuccessful completion of SLAV9001 / SLAV9004 Residence Abroad in Russia, or equivalent.
This module is mutually exclusive with
|SLAV2103||Applied Russian Language 2|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis module is intended for able linguists who wish to enhance their language skills in specific areas. It develops the language skills used in Core Russian 2 and adds to Russian cultural awareness in the spheres of business Russian and translation from Russian to English.The module will consist of two weekly practical language classes: one hour of translation and one hour of professional communication including both oral and written exercises.
Objectives- to develop the skills used in Core Russian 2
- to practise and develop specialised communication and translation skils with several different types of text, from Russian into English
- to make students aware of Russian cultural conventions in the workplace and
- to enable students to recognise the demands of using Russian in professional situations.
On completion of the module students will be able to:
- manage more linguistically challenging and specialised texts and show confidence and independence in professional situations;
- demonstrate the depth of their understanding by producing accurate written work in Russian and English;
- display awareness of cultural conventions and appropriate behaviour in professional situations, and also informed knowledge of professional documentation.
On completion of this module, students will be able to apply the
receptive skills acquired in Core Russian 2:
- to understand a wider and more demanding variety of Russian texts
- to recognise and identify the characteristic grammatical and syntactical patterns found in the language materials used.
They will similarly be able to apply their productive skills:
- to produce accurate written work
- to generate examples of professional Russian texts employing appropriate specialised idiomatic conventions
- to research, prepare and deliver professional oral presentations in Russian
- to participate in role play based on business situations.
The module will consist of two weekly practical language classes: one hour of translation from Russian to English, based on an introduction to translation theory and methodology; and one hour of professional communication including both oral and written exercises.
The oral component will comprise professional communication, such as job interviews, telephone conversations and business presentations.
The written component will comprise reading and composing different types of documents, such as business letters, commercial orders, job applications and curricula vitae.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||120.00|
|Total Contact hours||30.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study- Class preparation and homework 100 hours
- Exam preparation and revision 19 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Throughout both semesters, practice written and oral assignments will be set regularly, mimicking the form of the formally assessed pieces, in order to familiarise students with the assessment format.
- These non-assessed assignments will be followed by both individual and group feedback, which may be in oral or written form as appropriate.
- Class participation will also be used to monitor progress.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||50.00|
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Practical Exam / OSCE||0 hr 20 mins||20.00|
|Online Time-Limited assessment||48 hr 00 mins||30.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||50.00|
Oral - Week 8
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:26:35
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD