2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
SOEE5764M 3D Structure: Techniques and Visualisation
10 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Dr Taija Torvela
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
|SOEE5720M||Fault and Fold Systems|
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students will have:
- been provided with a review of fundamental structural geology skills - acquired intermediate to advanced structural skills in analysis of orientation data using stereographic projection, structure contours, and maps;
- developed report writing and seminar presentation skills;
- developed skills required for construction and critical evaluation of cross sections;
- applied industry-standard 3D modelling/visualisation packages to building structural models.
Orientation analysis with the stereonet, strain and displacement, geological map skills, structure contours, cross section construction and balancing. Use of cross-section and map data to generate 3D geospatial models.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||60.00|
|Total Contact hours||40.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study- Pre- and post-class reading and evaluation of prescribed current literature;
- Summarising and completing practical exercises.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Feedback in practical classes and coursework. There are formative assignments through the course that are designed to recap and enhance existing skills and contribute to progressive learning towards the module outcomes.
- Given the very practical nature of the module, the assessment is entirely assessed through practicals.
- The module is designed specifically to provide prompt feedback on each practical in order that the student can use the set of practicals as a progressive learning experience.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Practical||3x assessed practicals through the module to develop progressively deeper learning.||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 26/05/2022 14:15:16
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD