2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SPPO9001 Spanish/Portuguese Year Abroad
120 creditsClass Size: 140
Module manager: Dr Ines Cordeiro da Silva Dias
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsEither SPPO2010 or SPPO2011 or SPPO2090 or SPPO2091
This module is mutually exclusive with
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesThe year abroad will take one of three forms: British Council assistantship; study at a partner institution; work placement. During this part of their degree programme, students will have the opportunity to:
- make substantial linguistic progress, over a wide range of registers, in respect of the target language;
- face the linguistic, intellectual and psychological challenges of living in another country;
- acquire a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the target language;
- develop the social/personal/transferable skills necessary for gaining maximum benefit from living in a different community;
- seek to enhance their future employability by familiarizing themselves, when appropriate, with the world of work within the target culture, or by reflecting on the utility of skills that they are acquiring while living abroad for their future employment.
On completion of the year abroad, students should have:
- improved their language fluency and proficiency;
- improved their knowledge and appreciation of the target culture.
Students will have had the opportunity to develop and practise:
- interpersonal and transferable skills required to operate successfully in a Portuguese or Spanish-speaking society, in a variety of roles and situations
- resourcefulness and self-reliance
Due to the varied opportunities for the year abroad, the 'syllabus' will differ from student to student. Students should make themselves familiar with the requirements for the year abroad as given in the subject Year Abroad Handbook. This handbook explains in detail what students need to do in order to pass the year abroad.
- To pass the year abroad, students will need to demonstrate all of the following:
- Minimum of 9 months residence abroad while studying
- Satisfactory attendance at university
- Adequate number of credits taken (as detailed in the Learning Contract )
- Adequate number of modules passed (as detailed in the Learning Contract )
Work placements (including British Council assistantships):
- Minimum of 9 months residence abroad while working
- Satisfactory report from employers
|Private study hours||1,200.00|
|Total Contact hours||0.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||1,200.00|
Private studyStudents will be expected to immerse themselves in the culture of the host country and, depending on the type of placement, undertake those activities necessary for successful completion of the year abroad.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Students will maintain contact with their personal tutors and/or year abroad tutors by email.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Placement Assessment||Students have to complete the Year Abroad milestone tasks, which must be returned electronically to the School at regular intervals during the year. A Research Project. Weblog summary. An interim report on each student’s performance will be provided by the teacher/employer (BC/WP) at the end of semester 1, and a final report will be written at the end of the year. A transcript of marks (SP)||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
If parts of the Year Abroad requirements are not completed, students may be required (at the discretion of the Module Leader) to undertake a re-sit essay of either 2000 or 4000 words depending upon the level of fail (see Residence Abroad On-Placement Handbook). If students do not fulfil the residency requirement, or there is evidence of no serious attempt to fulfil the requirements of the work or study placement, students may be required to re-sit the year abroad at their own expense.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 06/10/2022
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD