2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
DESN5255M Dissertation - Advertising and Design
35 creditsClass Size: 30
Module manager: Qingxin Peng
Taught: 1 Apr to 30 Sep, Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesThe dissertation modules give the opportunity for students to explore an issue of contemporary academic and/or business interest, in the subject area of Advertising and Design, by critical review and analysis of literature and further primary and/or analysis of secondary research. The integration of the teaching programme within the Business School and the School of Design has the potential to give rise to novel approaches to the subject and research questions of interest to the wider academic and professional design community.
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
• demonstrate an ability to apply skills and knowledge acquired throughout the programme to the framing of specific research questions;
• formulate detailed research design for investigation;
• demonstrate appropriate academic rigour in the acquisition, critical analysis and presentation of conceptual and empirical material derived from primary and secondary sources;
• successfully implement a chosen research project exhibiting high quality written skills under the guidance and supervision of a faculty supervisor;
• exhibit project management skills (and team-working skills where appropriate) in initiating, managing and integrating a dissertation.
The ability to:
• identify and articulate a problem;
• contextualisation of inquiry
• critical examination of other research;
• identification an appropriate research methodology;
• critical articulation of findings
Students produce an independent research project based around research undertaken within a field or topic relevant to contemporary issues within advertising and / or design.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||336.25|
|Total Contact hours||13.75|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||350.00|
Private studyThe module is extensively run via private study and is very much student driven. Students are expected to work full time on this over the summer months.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackProgress is monitored through key milestones within the research process, mapped to the schedule of tutorial meetings.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Presentation||10 minute verbal presentation to assessment panel||10.00|
|Essay or Dissertation||8,000-9,000 words||90.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 06/03/2023
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD