2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
FOOD1050 Elements of Human Nutrition
10 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Sally Moore
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsA level Chemistry or Biology
This module is mutually exclusive with
|FOOD1150||Principles of Human Physiology and Nutrition|
This module is approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis module serves to introduce underpinning physiological processes that govern health and the impact of nutrition on such processes.
ObjectivesThe module aims to:
To introduce the elements of nutrient function and metabolism, dietary intakes and food sources, deficiency diseases and nutritional requirements.
Upon completion of the module, students should be able to:
1. Explain physiological processes that govern human health
2. Recall current nutritional recommendations for the general population and apply them to evaluate the adequacy of diets
3. Explain the role of culture and socio-economic factors on the food habits and food choice.
Applying nutritional recommendations within the context of health and special populations
• Role of macro (carbohydrates, protein, fat and dietary fibre) and micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals) in human nutrition
• Nutrient requirements and Dietary Reference Values
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||78.00|
|Total Contact hours||22.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study• Directed reading for lectures: 22 hours
• Additional reading/study: 46 hours
• Preparation and revision for exam: 9 hours
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackProgress will be formally monitored through attendance and directed reading.
General feedback on exam performance will be posted on the VLE, while individual feedback will also be provided upon marking of the exam.
Formative feedback will be given regularly during taught sessions in response to independent learning tasks.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Online Time-Limited assessment||1 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
MCQ - same format for resit
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 12/09/2022 10:38:44
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD