2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
LAW1141 Introduction to Criminal Law
20 creditsClass Size: 56
Module manager: Ms Rosie Fox
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is mutually exclusive with
|LAW1140||Principles of Criminal Law|
Module replacesLAW1140 Principles of Criminal Law
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis compulsory module will introduce students to core criminal law concepts and to the criminal justice system within which the criminal law is applied.
ObjectivesThis module will provide students with the opportunity to learn about key criminal law principles, cases and legislation, and to recognise the different political and cultural contexts in which criminal law operates at national and international level.
By the end of the module students will be able to:
- competently and independently recognise, identify and state (verbally and in writing) basic legal concepts and rules of criminal law;
- apply appropriate terminology and legal reasoning to produce a coherent legal account of an issue of limited complexity relating to criminal law;
- interpret criminal law information and data to provide a basic insight into the operation of the criminal law and system and their relationship to relevant social and political contexts.
Foundations of liability
Introduction to the Criminal Justice System
Criminal Law and power
Consent and criminal law (including non-fatal offences)
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||174.00|
|Total Contact hours||26.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private studyThe online learning element is broken down into 15 minute tasks, there will be 30 x 15 minute tasks overall.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudents will have an opportunity to complete a short formative assessment.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Report||Case report presented as a creative visual output of up to 1,500 words or a 6 minute video||60.00|
|Assignment||750 word reflection on the case report and creative process||40.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 29/04/2022 15:29:02
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD