This module is inactive in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2017/18 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
MATH0380 Foundation Applied Mathematics for Business
10 creditsClass Size: 110
Module manager: Dr Mauro Mobilia
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2017/18
Pre-requisite qualificationsMATH0111 or equivalent. This module is not available to students who have a Maths A-level (or equivalent)
This module is mutually exclusive with
|LUBS1260||Mathematics for Economics and Business 1|
|LUBS1270||Statistics for Economics and Business 1|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryA basic course for students who have not done A-level Mathematics. The module covers some basic mathematical techniques which have applications in Business and in Economics. It has been designed for Foundation year students intending to proceed to degree programmes in the Business School.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module students should be able to:
- solve systems of linear equations in 2 or more unknowns
- solve problems involving compound interest and geometric series
- solve simple difference equations
- carry out basic algebraic operations on matrices
- evaluate determinants of 2 x 2 and 3 x 3 matrices
- apply any of the above techniques to problems in business and economics.
- Graphs of linear equations, elimination methods, supply and demand analysis
- Percentages, compound interest, discounting, geometric series, calculating the APR
- Linear difference equations, simple economic models
- Addition, subtraction and multiplication of matrices
- The inverse of a matrix
- Evaluation of determinants
- Eigenvalues of a matrix
- Linear programming
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||67.00|
|Total Contact hours||33.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private studyStudying and revising of course material.
Completing of assignments and assessments.
Example classes will be covered in the lectures.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackRegular problem solving assignments
!!! In order to pass the module, students must pass the examination. !!!
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||15.00|
There is no resit available for the coursework component of this module. If the module is failed, the coursework mark will be carried forward and added to the resit exam mark with the same weighting as listed above.
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||85.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||85.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 26/04/2017
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD