2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
MATH1026 Sets, Sequences and Series
15 creditsClass Size: 290
Module manager: Professor Alexander Strohmaier
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
This module is mutually exclusive with
|MATH1055||Numbers and Vectors|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis module introduces students to the mathematics of sequences, series and power series. Students will explore examples using a computer package. The sizes of infinite sets (such as sets of sequences, rationals, reals) are explored. Some fundamental results in real analysis are precisely formulated and proved.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should:
- be able to state and prove properties of sequences, series, and power series, and be familiar with examples of these;
- have strengthened their skills in:
> constructing, writing (using LateX) and communicating proofs;
> presenting mathematical ideas using precise language in written and verbal form;
> manipulating and exploring sequences and series confidently.
1. Supremum and Infimum.
2. Sizes of infinite sets (rationals, reals), (un)countability.
3. Sequences. Definition of convergence. Sums and products. Subsequences, the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem.
4. Series. Absolute & conditional convergence. Standard tests.
5. Sequential continuity. The Extreme Value Theorem. The Intermediate Value Theorem.
6. Complex sequences and series. Power series. Radius of convergence.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||100.00|
|Total Contact hours||50.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyStudying and revising of course material.
Completing of assignments and assessments.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackAssessed coursework with written and oral presentations throughout the semester with feedback.
!!! In order to pass the module, students must pass the examination. !!!
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||20.00|
There is no resit available for the coursework component of this module. If the module is failed, the coursework mark will be carried forward and added to the resit exam mark with the same weighting as listed above.
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 30 mins||80.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||80.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 09/05/2022 09:13:02
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD