2022/23 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
MATH3565 Mathematical Biology
15 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Dr Mauro Mobilia + Dr Martin Lopez-Garcia
Email: "M.Mobilia@leeds.ac.uk M.LopezGarcia@leeds.ac.uk"
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsMATH2391 or MATH2375 or equivalent.
This module is mutually exclusive with
|MATH5566M||Advanced Mathematical Biology|
This module is approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThe physical sciences are underpinned by mathematics, both as a structure or language for the concise statement of the laws of nature, and as a tool for developing an understanding of new phenomena by modelling analysis. The introduction of mathematics to the biological and the medical sciences is still at an early stage, but it is becoming increasingly important in many areas. This module aims to introduce the student to some areas of mathematical biology and medicine.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to model certain biological phenomena described by:
- ordinary differential equations;
- discrete and continuous time Markov processes
- branching processes;
- Brownian motion;
- partial differential equations.
- Modelling biological phenomena from several areas of biology and medicine
- Ordinary differential equations and biological populations
- Steady states and stability in one and multiple dimensions
- Random variables and probability generating functions
- Birth and death processes
- Branching processes in discrete time
- Brownian motion and associated differential equations
- Spatially extended systems and the spread of epidemics
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||117.00|
|Total Contact hours||33.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyStudying and revising of course material.
Completing of assignments and assessments.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackExamples sheets and quizzes.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 30 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/09/2022
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD