2022/23 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
MATH5824M Generalised Linear and Additive Models
15 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Dr Robert Aykroyd
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2022/23
Pre-requisite qualificationsMATH2715 or MATH2735
This module is mutually exclusive with
|MATH3823||Generalised Linear Models|
This module is approved as an Elective
Module summaryLinear regression is a tremendously useful statistical technique but is limited to normally distributed responses. Generalised linear models extend linear regression in many ways - allowing us to analyse more complex data sets. In this module we will see how to combine continuous and categorical predictors, analyse binomial response data and model count data.A further extension is the generalised additive model. Here, we no longer insist on the predictor variables affecting the response via a linear function of the predictors, but allow the response to depend on a more general smooth function of the predictor.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- carry out regression analysis with generalised linear models including the use of link functions, deviance and overdispersion;
- fit and interpret the special cases of log linear models and logistic regression;
- compare a number of methods for scatterpot smoothing suitable for use in a generalised additive model;
- use a backfitting algorithm to estimate the parameters of a generalised additive model;
- interpret a fitted generalised additive model;
- use a statistical package with real data to fit these models to data and to write a report giving and interpreting the results.
Generalised linear model; probit model; logistic regression; log linear models; scatterplot smoothers; generalised addictive model.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||115.00|
|Total Contact hours||35.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyStudying and revising of course material.
Completing of assignments and assessments.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackRegular example sheets.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||20.00|
There is no resit available for the coursework component of this module. If the module is failed, the coursework mark will be carried forward and added to the resit exam mark with the same weighting as listed above.
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Open Book exam||2 hr 30 mins||80.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||80.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/10/2022
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD