This module is not currently running in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS3300 Extended Project Abroad
60 creditsClass Size: 10
Module manager: Dr Catherine Walsh
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsLevel 2 Physics. All students must have been selected for the MPhys degree programme.
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesBy the end of this module, you should be able to:
- manage your time effectively on a major research type project;
- operate a specialised piece of research equipment or make use of specialised software techniques;
- use appropriate computer packages for the statistical analysis and interpretation of large datasets;
- prepare regular (weekly) status reports and write a significant final project report;
- defend your project work during an hour long oral presentation/seminar before academic staff.
Write a report
Experience life abroad
The students work on a project that can cover any field of research. Here is a selection of recent projects:
- Calibration and operation of a cosmic ray tracking detector (Berlin 2005).
- Operate remotely a 34-m diameter NASA radio telescope to map out and analyse the Rosette Nebula
- A spectroscopic study of a sample of Kiso UV-excess galaxies (Marseille 2004).
- The Period Change of AE Ursa Majoris (Aarhus 2004).
- Build, test and calibrate a detector to measure the fluorescence emission of atmospheric Nitrogen for the world's largest cosmic ray experiment (Karlsruhe 2003).
|Private study hours||600.00|
|Total Contact hours||0.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackRegular meetings with supervisor abroad. Regular reports to module leader in Leeds. Pastoral visit from Leeds academic.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Practical||Performance on experimental part of project||40.00|
|Report||Final project report||40.00|
|Oral Presentation||Oral presentation/defence of work project to 5/6 Leeds academics||20.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students are required to submit all elements of the coursework in order to pass the module.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 06/03/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD