2023/24 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
CAPE5340M Advances in Chemical Engineering
15 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Dr N Warren
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesWithin the Chemical Engineering programme, the students have become experts in fundamental theory and practice in Chemical Engineering. This includes familiarity with many processes which are well established across the industry. As with all science and engineering, technology advances at a rapid pace, which is usually tailored to increasing revenue and enhancing sustainability. Furthermore, new product technologies require increasingly advanced production technologies which require precision across multiple scales (i.e. from lab to factory). In this module, the overall objective is for the students to be able to apply their engineering expertise to evaluate, critically analyse and gain expert knowledge in the context of advanced technologies. This includes from a new or specialised products perspective, and from that of new and advanced chemical process technologies including the move towards automated technologies.
Upon completion the students will:
- Learn to evaluate recent technical literature for identifying new chemical engineering technologies, including specialist technologies for specific products.
- Have knowledge of the characteristics of specific prototype or advanced technologies in the context of advanced reactor technology, process analytical technology and optimisation/control.
- Appreciate the use of emerging computational tools, including artificial intelligence and big-data in chemical engineering.
- Have the ability to deploy chemical engineering knowledge to innovate and propose development of novel chemical engineering practices or technologies.
- Can utilise higher-level chemical engineering knowledge for problem solving.
- Be able to translate fundamental knowledge into 'real world' products and processes.
- Ability to communicate technical chemical engineering related information in the context of engineering advances, in writing, verbally and using audio-visual/digital tools.
The module will cover three aspects of current chemical engineering technology developments:
(1) Automated engineering technologies and big data analytics for product and process development.
(2) Machine learning in chemical engineering for high-value products.
(3) Research-led advances in chemical engineering - Gain an overall understanding of state-of-the-art developments in chemical engineering reported within academic literature.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||122.00|
|Total Contact hours||28.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study2 hour reading per week related to online material and preparatory exercises. Individual literature reading for group work. Group work in preparation for group presentation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackDiscussion during synchronous sessions, via online resources, open office hours.
Guidance during group work occur within synchronous group sessions.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 28/04/2023 14:55:29
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD