2023/24 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
CIVE2550 Highway Engineering
10 creditsClass Size: 120
Module manager: Yue Huang
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis module covers Highway Engineering process including planning and route location, geometric design and structural design, construction, condition monitoring, and maintenance.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to ...
- Establish a sound understanding of highway engineering process;
- Facilitate acquisition of key knowledge in highway planning, design, construction and maintenance;
- Develop students' ability to apply knowledge to practice.
On completion of the module students will be able to:
1. Understand the function of different road types in the highway network;
2. Design a highway considering land use and geometric characteristics;
3. Assess appropriate pavement and drainage options according to highway conditions and design purpose;
4. Under the process of highway construction and maintenance.
- Highway planning process
- Hierarchy and functionality of highways
- Principles of route location
- Design speeds and speed limits
- Road geometry including horizontal and vertical alignments
- Pavement design and materials, including maintenance
- Highways construction and maintenance
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||80.00|
|Total Contact hours||20.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private studySufficient effort is expected for further reading after each lecture, as well as for seeking relevant literature and collating evidence across a range of sources for completing the coursework. Support to private study will be offered by face-to-face discussions, as well as by VLE forums.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudents' learning progress will be monitored by in-class responses and the coursework process. Students will be fully supported during the process of completing their coursework via a variety of channels including physical discussions as well as virtual environment (e.g. VLE forums, e-mails etc). Feedback on coursework performance will be provided assisting the students to understand weakness in the submitted work and suggesting ways that work can be improved.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Project||Geometric design report||30.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||30.00|
Re-sit - 100% online time-limited assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||3 hr 00 mins||70.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||70.00|
Re-sit - 100% exam
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 28/04/2023 14:52:55
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD