2023/24 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
CIVE5220M Strategic Management in Construction
15 creditsClass Size: 140
Module manager: K Moodley
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesThe module aims to develop an understanding of the strategic management of organisations in the construction industry and their interaction with project. It introduces students to the strategic management process and raises awareness of external and internal environment context of organisations. The module covers the management of change and culture. Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility thinking are developed as a part of better business conduct.
On completion of this module students should be able to:
Understand the strategic management process and strategy development
Apply change management and organisation culture frameworks.
Understand the process of partner selection and operational management of alliances.
Be aware of the key concepts of professional ethics and develop an understanding of Corporate Social Responsibility.
General learning outcomes (UK-SPEC):
- The ability to apply new concepts and methods (in the context of strategic business management).
Specific learning outcomes (UK-SPEC):
- Economic, legal, social, ethical and environmental context (an awareness of personal ethics and corporate social responsibility in business conduct within strategic management on a case based examination).
- Economic, legal, social, ethical and environmental context (an understanding of management and business practices and limitations through the use tools such as PESTEL, SWOT Analysis, Value Chain analysis to develop organisation strategies)
- Economic, legal, social, ethical and environmental context (an awareness of the need to understand commercial and social contexts through the use of PESTEL, Value Chain analysis, Lewin’s change models, Hofstede’s cultural framework and Corporate responsibility models)
- The Theory of the strategic management process formulation, choice and implementation; - Organisational design; - The management of change; - Organisation culture; - International business strategy; - Strategic alliances and joint ventures - Corporate Social Responsibility.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||110.00|
|Total Contact hours||40.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyPrivate study will consist of of reading and exam preparation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackA tutorial session is arranged midway through the programme. An active VLE blog is used to engage student. Information is placed on the VLE for students to download.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||3 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 28/04/2023 14:52:55
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD