2023/24 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SOEE1382 Skills for Environmental Social Science
20 creditsClass Size: 80
Module manager: Dr Jen Dyer
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesThis module aims to develop a foundation of key academic skills for students to build on during their degree.
Students will learn how to research, plan and write a literature review essay, as well as to engage with and respond to feedback on assignments. They will be introduced to the process of designing and implementing research in the environmental social sciences through fieldwork.
In addition to this, students will start to consider how they can develop skills associated with employability through the opportunities available at Leeds and will explore issues around academic integrity and referencing.
All coursework must be attempted to pass the module.
• Understanding the process of academic writing
• Understanding different formats for assignments
• Researching, planning and writing an essay
• Engaging with and responding to feedback for assignments
• Introducing the design, implementation and writing up of research
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||163.00|
|Total Contact hours||37.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study- 80 hours researching, planning and writing formative essay
- 70 hours reading and preparing fieldtrip report
- 13 hours preparing for tutorials and completing formative assignments associated with employability and academic integrity.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackFeedback will be provided in tutorials throughout the module and early on in Semester one through a formative essay. Feedback will also be provided during field work
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Assignment||1,500 word assignment (formative)||0.00|
|Online Assessment||Online Academic Integrity Tutorial (formative)||0.00|
|Report||1,600 word fieldtrip report||75.00|
|Presentation||10 min group presentation on fieldtrip||25.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
The resit for this module will be a 1,500 word essay or 1,600 word report.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 10/05/2023 16:29:07
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD