2023/24 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SOEE1481 Foundation Mathematics 1
10 creditsClass Size: 120
Module manager: Dr Daniel Hill
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
Pre-requisite qualificationsNot normally available to students with A Level Maths Grade C or above
Module replacesSOEE1480 Mathematics for Earth and Environmental Scientists
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- develop an understanding of elementary mathematical theory;
- have experience in obtaining basic mathematical solutions, including unfamiliar problems;
- develop processing and interpretation of visual and written information;
- assimilate material from lectures and implement in mathematical problems;
- develop quantitative ability which will underpin future scientific endeavours;
- develop time management in performing tutorial sheets and assessed coursework.
The following topics are covered:
- equations and formulae
- logarithms and exponentials
- straight-line analysis
- sequences and series.
- solving coupled algebraic equations
- introduction to integration.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||73.00|
|Total Contact hours||27.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study73 hours - reading course material, practising problems, solving assignments and preparing for the final exam. One-to-one help is available at regular drop-in sessions.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackThe student’s progress is monitored by weekly tutorial sheets and one piece of assessed coursework, plus formative exercises on Minerva.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||15.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Open Book exam||2 hr 00 mins||85.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||85.00|
Resits will be assessed through a single 2 hour exam.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 10/05/2023 16:29:07
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD