2023/24 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
FLTU1808 Beginners Spanish 20 credits, Semester 1
20 creditsClass Size: 17
Module manager: Ricardo Michue-Bendezu
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
This module is mutually exclusive with
|Beginners Spanish 20 credits, Semester 2
|Beginners Spanish 20cr Sem1&2
|Beginners Spanish 10 credits Semester 2
This module is approved as a discovery module
This module is approved as a skills discovery module
Module summaryThis module is for students who have no previous knowledge of Spanish.The emphasis is on achieving a basic level of communication in all four skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) while developing confidence and a degree of accuracy when using the language in a limited range of situations.The module also aims to stimulate students' interest in Spain and Latin America and deepen their knowledge and understanding of Spanish and Latin American society and culture.
ObjectivesThis module aims to introduce students to Spanish and gradually develop their ability to function at beginners' level.
Students should develop a basic understanding of everyday vocabulary, understand the rules of pronunciation and have a basic grasp of the relevant grammar for that level.
They should also develop an awareness of Spanish and Latin American culture.
On completion of the module, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of commonly used vocabulary and everyday expressions in the topics covered;
- extract accurately the key information from audio and/or video material;
- understand and make themselves understood by a proficient language speaker in specific contexts;
- demonstrate some awareness of cultural and linguistic differences between the use of Spanish and English;
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of grammar.
Will cover topics such as:
- Exchange personal information about themselves
- Talk about their family and describing people’s appearance and character and their family
- Understand and use numbers, the time, dates
- Talk about likes and dislikes, understand hobbies and variety of activities
- Travelling – enquiry about departure and arrival, buy tickets, planning a journey in the future tense
- Talk about daily routine talk about typical day and personal interest and routine in more detail.
- Eating out Understand and recognise Spanish and Latin Food, order drinks and food
- Understanding and giving simple directions and instructions
- Talking about the past – describe and explain your past and your past holidays.
|Private study hours
|Total Contact hours
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)
Private studyGuided independent study each week including review of the lesson, self study and homework tasks, preparation and practice for the final exam.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackGuided independent study, participation in class, feedback on tasks submitted and preparation for the in-class task and final exam.
Methods of assessment
|% of formal assessment
|Practical Exam / OSCE
|0 hr 10 mins
|Online Time-Limited assessment
|2 hr 00 mins
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)
Resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 22/08/2023
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD