2023/24 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
ODES5111M Creative Design Thinking
15 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Dr Nina Hansopaheluwakan
Taught: 1 May to 30 Jun (2mth)(adv yr), 1 May to 30 June, 1 Nov to 31 Dec, 1 Nov to 31 Dec (2mth)(adv yr) View Timetable
Year running 2023/24
Pre-requisite qualificationsStudents are required to meet the programme entry requirements prior to studying the module.
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis module explores theoretical and practical aspects of digital design and communication, from the identification of design principles to ideation, in individual settings. It will expand students' knowledge of the design thinking process in different communication design disciplines (such as graphics, information design, UX/UI). The module is divided into two main sections focusing on a) theories in design and b) design practice; Students will learn how the theoretical concepts and research outcomes inform and are applied in practice. The module will also allow students to respond to design briefs and to 1) explore different areas of design; 2) apply theoretical concepts and learn by doing, exploring and experimenting in a wide range of design areas.
ObjectivesThis module gives students the opportunity to:
1. Develop awareness of the theoretical issues and research associated with digital design and their application to practice.
2. Learn various design concepts, methods, tools and skills to help in the application of creativity and design thinking.
3. Reflect on the application of design thinking and creativity via practical activities.
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
1. Identify principal and design processes in a wide range of communication design disciplines and their application to design practice.
2. Apply design concepts and conceptual design skills to design projects.
3. Demonstrate communication skills in presenting creative ideas and design thinking processes effectively.
Indicative content for this module includes:
Design principles and applications on a wide range of areas related to design and communication. Different design thinking and communication strategies will be identified from various case studies in the field of:
- Graphic/Visual Communication Design,
- Digital Design,
- Information Design,
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||12.00|
|Private study hours||120.00|
|Total Contact hours||18.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyIndependent online learning (12 hours):
Online learning materials provide links to appropriate journal papers, books, videos and websites. Students need to plan their own time to study these instructional and supporting materials independently before and after synchronised sessions.
To gain confidence to develop and articulate their own ideas, students will engage in private study (120 hours):
- Independent research: 42 hours
- Preparation and evaluation of assessments: 78 hours
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackOnline learning materials will provide regular opportunity for students to check their understanding (for example through formative MCQs with automated feedback). Regular group activity embedded into learning will allow self and peer assessment providing opportunities for formative feedback from peers and tutor.
The individual unit webinars and discussion forums provide opportunities for formative feedback from peers and tutors.
In particular, formative feedback will be given in week 6 through discussion forums to reflect a student’s progress on the creative log. The tutor will provide comments, suggestions for students based on the short videos submitted in week 4. The feedback will provide guidance to develop the ideas explored, preparing for final submission in week 8.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Presentation||Up to 5 minutes (max) pre-recorded video||20.00|
|Assignment||Creative Log. Visual explorations towards creative design concepts supported with written explanation.||80.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
1. Recorded verbal presentation: maximum 5 mins to communicate initial ideas. 2. Creative log: 1,000-1,500 words and visuals to explain the design thinking process and visual explorations.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 28/04/2023 14:57:08
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD