2020/21 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MA TESOL Studies
|Programme code:||MA-TSL/S||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Gary Chambers||Contact address:||G.N.Chambers@education.leeds.ac.uk|
This programme is available part time (programme code MA-TSL/S-PT). For further details, please contact programme leader
Total credits: 180
-Relevant first degree;
-Non-native speakers of English will be required to obtain proof of proficiency in English Language. You will need to gain:
IELTS overall score of 7.0 with nothing less than 6.0; or, TOEFL Paper version 600; or, TOEFL IBt 100; or, Pearson Test of English Academic 68 overall; or, An equivalent qualification agreed with Central Student Admissions, University of Leeds.
On this programme previous experience of teaching is not a requirement, although some is desirable.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
School of Education
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School of Education
The course is designed to meet the needs of students wishing to pursue a career in the teaching of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). Participants may have some limited experience (less than 2 years) as a teacher or tutor of English or may have just graduated in a subject related to Education, English or other languages.
The overall aim of the programme is to develop participants' capacity to make informed and appropriate decisions as teachers of English in a particular educational context.
- The first part of the programme offers a grounding in how languages are learned, in analysis of English language, and in TESOL methodology.
- In the second semester one further core module aims to develop students' essential teaching skills, though observing and practicing teaching and reflecting on the experience; at the same time they will also be able to take optional modules in practical aspects of TESOL such as teaching younger learners, analysing and adapting learning materials, using ICT, and assessing pupils.
- The final part of the programme - the dissertation - offers students an opportunity to investigate a chosen aspect of TESOL in more depth through a small-scale research project. Throughout the course students will be expected to expand their awareness of the field through extensive reading and discussion, both online and face-to-face.
By the end of this programme students should be able to:
- understand and critically evaluate theories of language, learning and teaching;
- plan, carry out and evaluate TESOL professional practices appropriate to a particular context;
- carry out a small-scale research investigation into an aspect of TESOL relevant to their personal development;
- continue to develop as TESOL professionals through reflection on their practice.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study and pass the following compulsory modules:
|EDUC5928M||Research Methods and Dissertation in MA TESOL programmes and MA TESOL Studies||60 credits||1 Jan to 31 Oct|
|EDUC5931M||Analysing Language Learning||30 credits||1 Jan to 31 May|
|EDUC5932M||Analysing Language Teaching||15 credits||1 Feb to 31 Mar|
|EDUC5933M||Language Teaching Methodology||30 credits||1 May to 30 Sep|
|EDUC5934M||Analysing Language||15 credits||1 Jan to 28 Feb|
Candidates will be required to study 30 credits from the following optional modules:
|EDUC5039M||Creative Inquiry, Communication and Learning||30 credits||1 May to 30 Sep|
|EDUC5256M||Technology Enhanced Language Learning||30 credits||1 May to 30 Sep|
|EDUC5903M||Learning and Teaching Vocabulary||15 credits||1 May to 30 June|
|EDUC5912M||Grammar, Learning and Teaching||15 credits||1 Jun to 31 Jul|
|EDUC5913M||Teaching Academic English||15 credits||1 May to 30 June|
|EDUC5914M||Corpus Linguistics in the Classroom||15 credits||1 Jun to 31 Jul|
|EDUC5916M||Tasks and Materials for TESOL||15 credits||1 May to 30 June|
|EDUC5927M||Assessing Language Learning||15 credits||1 Jun to 31 Jul|
|EDUC5981M||Teaching Languages to Young Learners||30 credits||1 May to 30 Sep|
Last updated: 24/05/2021 12:50:30
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD