2023/24 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages China
|Programme code:||MA-ED/CHINA||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Martin Lamb||Contact address:||M.V.Lamb@education.leeds.ac.uk|
Total credits: 180
Candidates normally have a first degree and a professional qualification. They are normally required to have at least 3 years of relevant experience.
Non-native speakers of English will be required to obtain proof of proficiency in English Language. You will need to gain:
- IELTS overall score of 7.0 with nothing less than 6.5;
- or, TOEFL Paper version 600;
- or, TOEFL IBt 100;
- or, Pearson Test of English Academic 68 overall;
- or, An equivalent qualification agreed with Central Student Admissions, University of Leeds.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
School of Education
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School of Education
The programme aims to offer a M.A TESOL programme to TESOL lecturers and teachers working principally at tertiary (but also at secondary) level in the Chinese state education system. All teaching will take place at GDUFS. Teaching of the four modules and supervision of critical studies will be divided between Leeds TESOL lecturers visiting Guangzhou twice yearly, and staff from the Centre for Linguistics and Applied Linguistics research in the Faculty of English Language and Culture at GDUFS.
The Centre is the only nationally accredited institution for research in this discipline in China. The opportunity to work or study at the GDUFS is considered to be extremely prestigious among the profession in China.
In order to achieve its aim the programme will provide its students with inputs and experiential opportunities that enable them to:
- understand current insights, issues and problems in the fields of TESOL that they study;
- observe, recall and examine pedagogic events at various levels of their own professional contexts;
- produce accounts and/or descriptions of the above, which are comprehensible to others;
- critically appraise theoretical frameworks for the language learning, teaching and testing processes in TESOL, and explore how these relate to their own professional environments;
- carry out and appraise procedures and outcomes of different approaches to pedagogy and evaluation in TESOL;
- develop and/or research pedagogic or other relevant practice in TESOL.
This is a University of Leeds programme which will be jointly delivered. It is not a franchised programme nor are the modules franchised. The programme and the modules taught by staff of the Guangdong University of Foreign Studies have been jointly conceived and designed by academic staff of the two universities.
The course is to be taught face to face entirely on the campus of Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (GDUFS). Academic staff from the two participating institutions will each teach two of the four compulsory modules.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following four compulsory modules:
|EDUC5431M||Dissertation in TESOL (China)||60 credits||1 Oct to 30 Sep (12mth)|
|EDUC5991M||Approaches and Contexts in TESOL||30 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|EDUC5992M||Introduction to Second Language Acquisition||30 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|EDUC5993M||Teaching Oral and Written Skills for TESOL||30 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|EDUC5994M||Language Testing||30 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
Last updated: 28/04/2023 14:28:44
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD